Thursday, March 25, 2010

Thing #15 Wikis

Wikis are rapidly picking up on the Internet today. I have often used wikipedia to find quick, general information on certain educational topics. They are a great way to look up valuable information but you must be careful with what you find. The bad thing about wikis is that anyone can add or edit content therefore sometimes information could be misleading. Luckily most posters will post their sources along with their content so you can make sure that they are reliable. Wikis are not just for information but also for communication as the short video showed about the camping trip. I think that wikis are great for finding general information and communication. However if I were doing research for a study or a paper then I would prefer to stay away from wikis. Unfortunately there are people out there that like to promote false things. In my classroom wikis could be great for interaction. Each student could collaborate and learn from each other. I feel like wikis could be valuable to a classroom but would require a lot of monitoring by the teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment