Monday, March 1, 2010

Thing #12 Google does it all

Well the title is certainly right. I don't think there is anything that Google does not have to offer. It is unreal what all they have accomplished and what they are able to do. I checked out the recommended Google tools and decided to go deeper into igoogle and Google calendar. After playing with the two I learned that both are great tools that can be a great help. The thing that I enjoyed the most about igoogle is how much time it can save you. It allows you to have all the information that you would like to stay up to date with all on one home page. You can customize your homepage to look and contain anything you would like. Some things that I put on my home page were youtube, weather, gmail, CNN news, Fox news and the US Department of Education. My homepage will constantly keep me update on these topics. There is no doubt that igoogle would benefit teachers and is very similar to google reader. I also explored Google calendar and there is no doubt that this tool would be beneficial to educators. This calendar allows you to plan out your schedule by the day, month, 4 days at a time and you can setup a personal agenda. I personally made my class and football schedule. The best thing is that you can share your calendar with others and they can share their calendars with you. As a educator you can share your calendar of events with parents to make sure that they stay involved in their child's education. After exploring more of Google it seems like they are on top of the mountain at this time. They have so many useful tools that can help your every day life that I never realized before. I have always just thought of Google as just a great search engine but my opinion has now been changed!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there. I agree about Google. I did use it as a search engine, image search and once in awhile I would use the maps if Mapquest was acting up. I found the iGoogle to be a great tool, choosing a lot of the same gadgets as you did, once I had it just the way I wanted I made it my homepage for when I signed on to Firefox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose the the calendar and igoogle too. Google has a lot more too it than what I thought. Google Calendar is a great way to manage my school work. I don't know if you noticed it or not but Google Calendar also has a place where you can put in your phone number and it will tell you what item is next on your calendar via text message. I started using it and it's helping me stay on top of my school work and my general day to day life. If you haven't checked that part out I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete